I think I can, I think I can!

I heard someone the other day using the bumble bee as an example for us of overcoming obstacles and achieving what should be impossible.  You see, scientists tell us that bumble bees, based on the size and shape of their body in relation to their wings, should not be able to fly.  This speaker then made the case that, like the bumble bee, we can overcome great odds to do anything we want.

Image: Tom Curtis / FreeDigitalPhotos.net

At the risk of sounding negative, I should remind you there are a lot of animals that shouldn’t be able to fly…and don’t.  The beaver, the grizzly bear, the elephant all cannot fly, no matter how much faith, belief or perseverance they muster up.

Sound pretty cynical?  Hear me out.

It’s not just faith we need.  The bumble bee can fly in the face of overwhelming odds because he was created to do so. The beaver was not created to fly, so no amount of wanting, desiring, dreaming or scheming will give the beaver the ability to one day make lift off.

As Americans, we seem to think it’s our birthright to do whatever we want.  We have that message drilled into our heads by parents, teachers, coaches, pastors and mentors.  “You can be whatever you want to be!”

But what about what God wants me to be? The question we must first ask ourselves is “what am I created to do?”  Doesn’t it make sense to find that out first, instead of spending a lifetime beating my head against a wall trying to do something that is on the exterior of God’s plan for me?

Once we figure out what we are made to do, that’s where faith comes in.  Even in the center of God’s plan there will be obstacles, difficulties and trials.  Like the bumble bee, there will be those telling us our dream is impossible, that we are unable to do what God has placed in our heart.  We will wrestle with self-doubt, with failure and fear.

We’re not all bumble bees.  But we are all something.  We are all unique and have a job to do on this earth.  Will God call me out of my comfort zone?  Absolutely.  Be He also prepares me with the tools I need to accomplish that to which He has called me.  The challenge is to find that thing my Creator has placed in me, and with unwavering faith pursue that path.

Or, I could waste my life trying to fly.

1. #1 by Rick McConnell on April 12, 2011 - 8:55 AM

Great Words Dave!!!

2. #2 by Geof on April 12, 2011 - 12:13 PM

You know….there’s another reason grizzly bears can’t fly. God knew that, if they were given flight ability, we’d all be screwed…ha ha.

But yes….I agree wholeheartedly with what you laid out here. We can do all things through Christ who strengthens us, but I believe there is a God-placed limit on that; the limit of the plan God has for us, individually, in the kingdom. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with wanting to fly, or even trying, just so long as we know that we won’t be able to do it unless it’s what God has written out for us. It’s all about being wise, taking a step back before making the effort, and saying “Aight God, what’s up here? Where am I going with this?”

Great words pops!! 🙂

3. #3 by Erica on April 12, 2011 - 12:59 PM

Excellent message!

4. #5 by Mark Murdock on April 13, 2011 - 1:45 PM

This is why I keep saying that Philippians 4:13 (“I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.”) is probably the most abused, most quoted-out-of-context verse in the whole Bible. If you read the verse in context you discover that Paul is saying that he can “take” or “endure” or “get along with” whatever comes his way through Him who gives him strength.

• #6 by Dave Kirby on April 13, 2011 - 6:48 PM

Yeah, I hear you. My point is that we cannot be “me” focused, but God focused. I can’t just decide what I want to do, then rely on faith in God to make it happen. Hearing from Him has to come first…it’s what He wants me to do. Once I figure that out, then I cannot fail.

5. #7 by Tamiwithani on April 16, 2011 - 2:35 PM

EXACTLY!!! I will never understand the theology of people who believe they can have anything they want as long as they ask God nicely an have enough faith. Just because God CAN do anything doesn’t mean He will. Jesus said that we should pray “thy will be done” not “my wll be done”.